Saturday, January 14, 2012

Into the Wild...

As evident by this blog, things didn’t work out for me in Mexico so I went back to the drawing board and decided to come up with a new plan. Referencing my bucket list (also known in my family as the more morbidly titled “25 things I want to do before I die”), I scanned the list for options. As a side note, my sister recently used this list to make the point that I was a bit of an eccentric kid because I made her and a few other friends create this list when we were 16. She thinks that’s a bit young to be thinking about dying. I, however, prefer to think of it as ambitious; it’s all about goals, people. 

Back to the list, while I paused momentarily at “sleep in the Lincoln Bedroom at the White House,” I decided it might not be possible in the next few months without risking arrest. So moving on, I skimmed over “attend a ball - preferably in Vienna”, raced by “see every sunset possible” (don’t judge, I was a melodramatic 16.) and settled on “volunteer in Africa.” Now I’m pretty sure that when I created this list what I meant was…

Cue movie scene: I go to Africa as a glamorous foreign aid worker who, though very poor, lives in cute apartment, wears gorgeous, if somewhat practical, clothing and despite the heat has perfect hair and makeup, has adventures I always survive, falls in love with the attractive photo-journalist who is there on special assignment, and saves lives along the way. Oh and all set to a fantastic soundtrack with a lot of 30’s and 40’s jazz invoking a Hemmingway/Out of Africa vibe. End scene.

You might want to sit down because I know this will be shocking…it isn’t like that at all. 

This has been one of the craziest, hardest, most amazing experiences of my life. I am dirty and sweaty and ridiculous looking all day. My hut is full of dirt and bugs and some days we run out of water and I can’t shower. When I walk back to my hut after dark, I must watch out for lions, wild dogs, leopards, and 20 varieties of venomous snakes. Note the sign:

  
The good news is that during the day I get to spend time in Zululand with 2-5 year olds who walk themselves to school. 


And meeting primary school students



I sit in on meetings and help prepare proposals with Zulu community co-ops that are working toward the creation of a community garden in order to sell vegetables to local businesses.  


And in the evenings…I go on game drives and see gorgeous wildlife. 




 
Wild, complex, stunning South Africa.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you're my sister. The things you do are more fascinating than television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sarah, I love that you made a bucket list at 16! I'm just starting mine so I'm a few years *ahem* behind, but you've really inspired me. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sarah! Great pictures!
    Keep getting your hands dirty down there, because the stories are well worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an experience you're having!

    ReplyDelete